    SubjectRe: Announce: ndiswrapper
    > Pontus Fuchs wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Since some vendors refuses to release specs or even a binary
    > > Linux-driver for their WLAN cards I desided to try to solve it myself by
    > > making a kernel module that can load Ndis (windows network driver API)
    > > drivers. I'm not trying to implement all of the Ndis API but rather
    > > implement the functions needed to get these unsupported cards working.
    > Sounds like a plan!

    Definetely agree - question though, are you loading these drivers into
    ring 0 (kernel space)? As far as I know linux only supports ring 0
    (kernel) and 3 (userspace). However this would seem to be the perfect
    place to load the binary modules in ring 1 (or even userspace if that was
    possible...). I can't say I trust any binary only and/or windows driver
    to not make a mess of my kernel :) actually the driver may actually be
    errorless - it's just designed for a different operating system and thus
    some unexplainable misshaps could easily happen...

    While we're at it, loading binary only modules into ring 1 would probably
    also be a good idea for the NV module et al. Although I have no idea how
    hard it would be to make ring 1 function (and whether there actually is
    any point to doing it in ring 1 instead of ring 3 with iopl/ioperm anyway)
    and how big the performance penalty for non-ring 0 would be...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.021 / U:3.412 seconds]