    SubjectRe: Terrible interactivity with 2.6.0-t9-mm3
    On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 08:11, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
    > Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
    > >>
    > >> After sending out multiple patches I should have been more clear. Just
    > >> to avoid confusion:
    > >>
    > >> * the init_cpu_khz patch goes along side Thomas' patch.
    > >> * the more experimental sched_clock() -> monotonic_clock() patch I just
    > >> sent out for testing replaces Thomas' patch.
    > >

    > > I now tried the second one and it seems to work, tough I am not sure
    > > whether the performance is as good as APCI timer deavt. It seems that
    > > now CPU Hz is not shown anymore. Have a look at my dmesg:

    The init_cpu_khz patch is the one that displays the calibrated CPU
    frequency. The two patches listed above address independent bugs.

    > So I deactivated the PM timer again and my computer is much faster
    > again. Haven prime in the background taking 100% doesn't noticeable
    > affect deskop performance. But I think I know where the problem lies:

    Yes, Thomas pointed out that the sched_clock->monotonic_clock patch
    didn't seem to work for pmtmr. I'm looking into if the pmtmr's
    montonic_clock call is doing the right thing (didn't have my laptop

    For now Thomas' patch to switch on "use_tsc" is the best fix when using
    the pmtmr.

    > current: c0499a60
    > current->thread_info: c0528000
    > Initializing CPU#0
    > PID hash table entries: 4096 (order 12: 32768 bytes)
    > Detected 2004.698 MHz processor.
    > Using tsc for high-res timesource
    > In above dmesg you can see that nothing was used as timesource, but here
    > in current dmesg tsc is used. Is this normal or a bug? Need I pass a
    > kernel paramtere when pm timer is enbaled?

    No, its just cosmetic. Both Thomas and I have sent out a patch that
    initializes the name field in the pmtmr's timer_opts struct.

    I appreciate the testing and feedback!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.022 / U:1.580 seconds]