SubjectRe: Is initramfs freed after kernel is booted?
Chris Friesen wrote:
> Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
>> my example is after pivot_root. I still have two roots.
>> To clarify. I want to replace initrd with initramfs. Given all
>> the stuff may be put in it can easily be expanded to a couple of MBs.
>> initrd frees this. I do not want to waste RAM to leave them in initramfs.
> Absolutely, the memory should be reclaimed. I would have thought that
> you could just unmount it--if the pivot_root is done properly there
> shouldn't be any references left to the initramfs.
> Jeff?

You can't unmount rootfs. And I'm not sure pivot_root will work, though
we're quickly reaching the end of my knowledge[1]. Certainly the
equivalent of "rm -rf *" will work.

[1] without reviewing the code again :)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.090 / U:8.392 seconds]