    SubjectRe: Is initramfs freed after kernel is booted?
    Chris Friesen wrote:
    > Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
    >> my example is after pivot_root. I still have two roots.
    >> To clarify. I want to replace initrd with initramfs. Given all
    >> the stuff may be put in it can easily be expanded to a couple of MBs.
    >> initrd frees this. I do not want to waste RAM to leave them in initramfs.
    > Absolutely, the memory should be reclaimed. I would have thought that
    > you could just unmount it--if the pivot_root is done properly there
    > shouldn't be any references left to the initramfs.
    > Jeff?

    You can't unmount rootfs. And I'm not sure pivot_root will work, though
    we're quickly reaching the end of my knowledge[1]. Certainly the
    equivalent of "rm -rf *" will work.

    [1] without reviewing the code again :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:44.728 seconds]