    SubjectRe: seq_file and exporting dynamically allocated data
    Hi Al,

    I remembered the other two areas where, maybe, seq API can be slightly
    improved:

    a) no "THIS_MODULE" style module refcounting, so I had to do manual
    MOD_INC_USE_COUNT/MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT in ->open/release. I am aware of the
    deficiencies of this approach, of course (it's been discussed too many
    times in the last several years).

    b) no way to reset the 'offset' to 0 when the ->next() detects that it is
    back at the head of linked list, i.e. when it should return NULL. It's OK
    for a user app to detect that (e.g. check proc->pid == 0 thus it's a
    "swapper" and so the beginning of the next chunk of processes) but it
    also has to issue lseek(fd, 0, SEEK_SET), otherwise the offsets will keep
    growing larger and larger and the kernel has to loop around that list (in
    ->start() when it tries to walk a set distance from the head) many times
    unnecessarily and so the performance goes down. I tried doing something
    like this:

    m->index = m->count = m->from = *ppos = 0;

    in the ->next() function whenever it detects that the 'next' element is
    'init_task' but it didn't help. And I understand why, i.e. read(2) really
    is supposed to increment the offset correctly, so what I require would
    break the normal Unix read(2) semantics. So, maybe forcing user app to
    issue lseek(fd, 0, SEEK_SET) is the only sensible solution... If you have
    better ideas, please let me know.

    Kind regards
    Tigran

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:0.352 seconds]