    SubjectRe: off the air
    On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 12:13:00AM -0500, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
    > For transparency, I would change the file contents to "updating"
    > during an update, instead of the even-odd thing. I think this will
    > make it more obvious to people how to use it properly.

    we've more solutions now. The file contents to "updating" would work too
    but I believe it would be by far the most complicated, the md5sum has
    the advantage of valiating the file contents too and it only requires 1
    file update to be atomic, no matter how the upload of the data paylod
    happens, so I tend to like it most even if it only works
    probabilitsically (but it's sure safe enough).

    However I understand Larry has no real interest in helping us to
    rsync a known to be coherent copy of the repository (very understandable
    from his own business standpoint), so I guess this is all wasted time,
    and we've to live with an heuristic like:

    sleep 60
    rsync -> if something changed goto 1

    I doubt Peter can provide the coherency guarantee with the md5sum on his
    side, unless it's Peter fetching the update of the scm data, and not the
    other way around.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:2.100 seconds]