    SubjectRe: kernel.bkbits.net off the air
    On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:29:45AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
    > If we had this approach we wouldn't have caught the torjan horse in the
    > CVS tree. We checksum all the data, changed or not. Your approach
    > pushes that duty onto the end users, and let's have a show of hands,

    the suggestion of the md5sum wasn't related to keeping the data
    secure/robust, we don't want to move the "robustness" duty onto the end
    users of course, we only want to know when we can break the rsync loop.
    The fact we'll do a further check possibly with a signature on the
    md5sums, is a bonus, but it's not meant to replace in any way the
    robusteness effort on the server side and we don't do it for robustness,
    we do it only for providing a means of coherency to the changesets in
    the tree.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.018 / U:2.716 seconds]