    SubjectRe: OT: why no file copy() libc/syscall ??
    On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 12:39:15AM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:22:14PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > > Followup to: <20031111085323.M8854@devserv.devel.redhat.com>
    > > By author: Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>
    > > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > > > We have one, sendfile(2).
    > > >

    > > It would be very nice if we could (a) expand the uses of sendfile(2),
    > > and (b) have the libc do the fallback to read/write/mmap as needed.
    >
    > I actually hacked cp for a while and it improved cp some point percent
    > on normal machines.
    >
    > See ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/andrea/cp-sendfile/
    >
    > the main downside and the reason it wasn't applied IIRC is the lack of
    > interruption of sendfile, basically for an huge file it would take a
    > while before C^c has any effect. The kernel isn't interrupting the
    > syscall. This is no different from a huge read or write syscall (but
    > read/write are never huge or the buffer would need to be huge too, not
    > the case for sendfile that works zerocopy), so in theory we could
    > workaround it by entering/exiting kernel multiple times just to allow
    > the signal to be handled like in the read/write case.

    Until interrupt and restart (as has been discussed
    here for other syscalls) handling is improved there could be
    a sanity check with an E2BIG or something if the size is
    insane. I dislike the thought of sendfile going sitting in D
    state on a multi-gigabyte file.