    SubjectRe: 2.4.23-pre9 ide+XFree+ptrace=Complete hang

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Maciej Zenczykowski wrote:
    > Well I got a hold of the necessary cabling and I'm sorry to report that
    > there is absolutely nothing on the serial console - I get the boot
    > messages, etc. fine, the last message before crashing is 'Loglevel set to
    > 9' [invoked by hand via Alt+SysRq+9], after which I crash it with 'strace
    > ls -lR /' (as a normal user) and nothing else shows up, no oops no nada.

    Ok. The nice thing about getting a serial console is that now you could
    try the NMI watchdog - just boot up with "nmi_watchdog=1" on the kernel
    command line (or "=2" - see Documentation/nmi_watchdog.txt for more
    information on it).

    That won't necessarily see the problem either, especially if it's a total
    hardware lockup brought on by X poking registers in unfortunate ways, but
    if it's a pure kernel lockup with interrupts disabled, it can help.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.022 / U:6.212 seconds]