    SubjectRe: Some thoughts about stable kernel development
    Willy Tarreau <> writes:

    > - maintaining two trees is always more work than only one tree for the
    > same person, whatever the changes. This is obviously true, otherwise
    > none of us would ask for someone else to maintain the stable tree :-)
    > I believe this reason was given by both Alan and Marcelo at different
    > times.

    Sure. However, with this scenario, the amount of additional work would be
    low, as the time-consuming things are done once for both trees.

    > - I think it was Linus who said that clueless people will only use distro's
    > kernels, therefore are not affected by how the kernel is developped. And
    > for other people like us, the "stable" kernel will never contain enough
    > features and we will have to patch anyway.

    Not sure about it - while I'm using 2.6.0test on my notebook (my personal
    news/mail server + less important things), I also use official kernels
    on some machines and patched trees on other ones.
    What I _don't_ use is distribution kernel - not because it's bad, but
    rather because i don't know it good enough.

    > - someone else (alan ?) said that even most obvious fixes can break some
    > setups, so there are not many "obviously riskless" patches around, and
    > if there's a really critical one which needs to go mainstream very
    > quickly,
    > then the maintainer can always release a new version in a hurry and delay
    > -preX pending features for the next release.

    -post, yes. But it only solves this one problem.
    Krzysztof Halasa, B*FH

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.022 / U:4.252 seconds]