SubjectRe: kernel.bkbits.net off the air
Please pardon my late intrusion into this discussion of what appears to
be CVS mirror coherency. The impression I get, which may be wrong, is
that one or both of these problems is happening:

- A user is pulling from one CVS mirror, but that mirror is in the
process of being updated from the BK source, so the user gets some new
files and some old ones.

- A user is pulling from more than one CVS mirror at the same time, and
not all mirrors are at the same revision level.

Either way, and I would not be surprised if someone else had suggested
this already, but being a graphics person, let me suggest a common
technique for dealing with this problem: double-buffering.

Let's assume a combination of the two above cases, because the general
solution applies to all cases.

To begin with, all mirrors serve from the "front buffer", all of which
are known to be at the same revision level for all files. While serving
the front buffers, the "back buffers" are being updated.

At a prescribed time, all servers go off-line (to deal with
asynchronicity between clocks), swap the front and back buffers, and
then go back online.

The synchronization problem can be dealt with either by having everyone
have their clocks set relatively close but go offline for a few seconds
just in case there is some drift, or there can be a master server which
signals the others when to swap buffers.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.085 / U:0.496 seconds]