    SubjectRe: Some thoughts about stable kernel development
    > There is a problem that a development cycle (time between stable
    > = non-pre/rc versions) is long.

    This sentiment is expressed fairly often, and I have never seen it challenged.
    However, I am not convinced that it is true. I do not believe that people
    who care about stability want to upgrade to a new kernel with major changes
    in it every 9 months. It also takes a fairly long time for our "stable"
    kernels to actually get stable enough that vendors are comfortable shipping
    them. I think if our develpment cycle gets significantly shorter, you will
    end up with vendors skipping entire stable series (ie. moving from 2.2 to 2.6
    without ever doing 2.4). I think that would create more pain for us than our
    current release cycle length does.

    Thanks,

    Jim

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:32.600 seconds]