SubjectRe: PATCH: CMD640 IDE chipset
Hi!

> > Hi Bartolomiej!
> Hi,
> > --- Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <B.Zolnierkiewicz@elka.pw.edu.pl>
wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Can you please drop all code-style changes (such as foo() -> foo
())

> > sorry about that, I ran Lindent on it...
> Please read Documentation/CodingStyle instead ;-).

I've read it and I got the impression that a code cleanup is in order
but nevermind, I left it as wrongly indented as it was.

> > Please excuse me for sending this patch as an attachment,
> > but as my mail account is Yahoo! and I'm too lazy to find a better
> > sollution, I cannot get the patch through the web interface without
> > breaking the lines.
> Okay.
> > This patch integrates the CMD640 chipset support in the 2.4.22
> > kernel. I was using it succesfully in the 2.2.x kernel series, but
> > got no result in the 2.4.x kernels. After comparing the 2 versions,
> > I noticed errors in the new version (outb_p() instead of outl_p())
> > and also some useless code (the wrapers: __put_cmd640_reg() and
> > __get_cmd640_reg() - which I removed and placed the locks where
needed;
> It seems Alexander already covered removal of wrappers...
> > the pci_conf1() and pci_conf2() functions).
> You can't remove them.
> /* Find out what kind of PCI probing is supported otherwise
> we break some Adaptec cards... */

OK, you are right, i am wrong. This functions are back.

> > I also removed the CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640_ENHANCED config option,
as
> > it
> > makes little difference for the kernel size.
> > The init_hwif_cmd640() function had to be rewritten because it is
> > called once for each ide interface found, so the old way of
addressing
> > all the drives in one run was no longer working. Therefore, to not
> > break all the code, came the need for a function that computes the
> > index from the ide_drive_t* : calculate_index().
> ide_probe_for_cmd640x() should be still be used instead.

I disagree.

> By removing setup_device_ptrs() and moving this driver to generic PCI
layer,
> you broke support for VLB version of CMD640.

I don't have a VLB version to test it on, but by reading the code I
think
that it will work just fine.
Anyway, if I'm wrong I should get a prize for breaking something that
was
allready broken :-)))) .

> Also there is a comment in a cmd640.c:
> /*
> * The CMD640x chip does not support DWORD config write cycles, but
some
> * of the BIOSes use them to implement the config services.
> */
> which worries me that it might be not safe to move this driver to
generic
> IDE PCI layer (at least for now).

Don't worry man, just read the code and you shall find peace of
mind....

> > The code that handles PIO settings was rearanged in a new
function:
> > cmd640_tuneproc().
> Is this really necessary, it is even harder to read it now...

It is necessary, unless the purpose of this piece of code is
readability.

> Stefan, please rework your patch. Thanks.

If you say that the only way I will get this driver fixed is to keep
it
ugly then I will send you a lame patch that does just that.

> cheers,
> --bartlomiej

later,

=====