    SubjectRe: kernel.bkbits.net off the air
    Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > we've to start rsync three times to get them in order, 3 tcp
    > connections, there's no way to specify the order in the rsync command
    > line, infact those two sequence files can be as well outside the tree
    > and we can fetch temporarily in a /tmp/ directory or similar. However we
    > can probably hack the rsync client to be able to specify the two
    > sequence numbers on the command line.
    >
    > It maybe also cleaner to use a slightly more complicated but more
    > compact algorithm, this would make a potential new rsync command line
    > option cleaner since only 1 sequence file would need to be specified:
    >
    > do {
    > seq = fetch(sequence-file);
    > if (seq & 1)
    > break;
    > rsync
    > if (seq != fetch(sequence-file))
    > seq = 1;
    > } while (seq & 1 && sleep 10 /* ideally exponential backoff */)
    >
    > this way only 1 sequence-file is needed for each repository that we want
    > to checkout. the server side only has to increase twice the same file
    > before and after each update of the repository, so the server side is
    > even simpler (with the only additional requirement that the sequence
    > number has to start "even"), only the client side is a bit more complicated.

    Good grief. This is messy as hell, and really interferes rather badly
    with the whole kernel.org mirror setup.

    I guess the "best" solution is to use LVM atomic snapshots, and only
    allow rsync off the atomic snapshot. That way any particular rsync
    session would always be consistent. That's a *HUGE* amount of work,
    though, and still doesn't solve the mirrors issue -- I don't control
    what the mirrors run. On the other hand, I don't know how many mirror
    sites actually mirror /pub/scm since it's not a requirement.

    -hpa