    SubjectRe: kernel.bkbits.net off the air
    On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:08:27AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > >
    > > you must pick file2 before file1:
    > >
    > > you:
    > >
    > > do
    > > get file2
    > > get repo-file1-j
    > > get file1
    > > while file2 != file1 && sleep 10
    > >

    > Okay... I'm starting to think the sequencing requirements on these files
    > may be hard to maintain across multiple levels of rsync... but perhaps
    > I'm wrong, in particular if 'file2' sorts hierachially-lexically last
    > and 'file1' first...

    we've to start rsync three times to get them in order, 3 tcp
    connections, there's no way to specify the order in the rsync command
    line, infact those two sequence files can be as well outside the tree
    and we can fetch temporarily in a /tmp/ directory or similar. However we
    can probably hack the rsync client to be able to specify the two
    sequence numbers on the command line.

    It maybe also cleaner to use a slightly more complicated but more
    compact algorithm, this would make a potential new rsync command line
    option cleaner since only 1 sequence file would need to be specified:

    do {
    seq = fetch(sequence-file);
    if (seq & 1)
    break;
    rsync
    if (seq != fetch(sequence-file))
    seq = 1;
    } while (seq & 1 && sleep 10 /* ideally exponential backoff */)

    this way only 1 sequence-file is needed for each repository that we want
    to checkout. the server side only has to increase twice the same file
    before and after each update of the repository, so the server side is
    even simpler (with the only additional requirement that the sequence
    number has to start "even"), only the client side is a bit more complicated.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.022 / U:63.152 seconds]