    SubjectRe: ide write cache issue? [Re: Something corrupts raid5 disks slightly during reboot]
    On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 08:01:14PM +0100, you [Willy Tarreau] wrote:
    > On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 08:25:18PM +0200, Ville Herva wrote:
    > > Is there anything special in booting to DOS instead of different linux
    > > kernel, other than that it would rule out some strange kernel bug that is
    > > present in 2.2 and 2.4?
    > No, it was just to quicky confirm or deny the fact that it's the kernel
    > which causes the problem. It could have been a long standing bug in the IDE
    > or partition code, and which is present in several kernels.

    I vaguely recall some ide write cache flushing code was fixed some time ago,
    but I can't find it in the archives. Maybe I dreamed that up. But I still
    wonder why an otherwise idle drive would hold the data in write cache for so
    long (several minutes.)

    > But as you say that it affects two different controllers, there's little
    > chance that it's caused by anything except linux itself.

    Unless the drive is buggy wrt. flushing its write cache. But I think it's
    a quite distant possibility.

    > Then, the reboot on DOS will only tell you if the drives were corrupted at
    > startup or at shutdown.

    Yep. I'll try to find the moment to boot the beast into something else than
    the current kernel / distro (it could in theory be something in userspace,
    though I cannot think what).

    > > BTW: the corruption happens on warm reboots (running reboot command), not
    > > just on power off / on.
    > OK, but the BIOS scans your disks even during warm reboots.

    True, I mainly made this note because I hadn't mentioned it before in the
    thread, and I thought it might have some relevance wrt. possible ide write
    caching problems. I didn't mean it as a response to the BIOS theory.

    -- v --

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.022 / U:99.384 seconds]