SubjectRe: [RFC 0/6] Backing Store for sysfs
On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 06:42:29PM +0000, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:23:53AM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> > Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > >The hotplug event points to the sysfs location of the kobject, that's
> > >all. libsysfs then takes that kobject location and sucks up all of the
> > >attribute information for that kobject, which udev then uses to
> > >determine what it should do.
> >
> > This sounds like a very different issue than what I thought you said
> > originally. Your other message said a "find over the sysfs tree",
> > implying some sort of tree-wide search for relevant information. In
> > fact, the "find" is only for attributes in the directory owned by the
> > kobject, right? Once they have been "found", they will age out of the
> > dentry/inode cache just like any other search results.
>
> They might, depending on the patch implementation. And no, the issue
> isn't different, as we have to show the memory usage after all kobjects
> are accessed in sysfs from userspace, not just before, like some of the
> measurements are, in order to try to compare apples to apples.

Well Greg, the aim of the patch is to save memory when the kobject is not
in use. I don't think it is a good idea to buy the same thing in
600 bytes of RAM which is available for just 100 bytes.

I trying one more version which should not put any or minimum load on kobject
when it is not in sysfs.

--
Maneesh Soni
Linux Technology Center,