SubjectRe: [RFC 0/6] Backing Store for sysfs
On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:01:11PM +0530, Dipankar Sarma wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 09:08:46AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 02:29:15PM +0530, Maneesh Soni wrote:
> > >
> > > 2.6.0-test6 With patches.
> > > -----------------
> > > dentry_cache (active) 2520 2544
> > > inode_cache (active) 1058 1050
> > > LowFree 875032 KB 874748 KB
> >
> > So with these patches we actually eat up more LowFree if all sysfs
> > entries are searched, and make the dentry_cache bigger? That's not good :(
>
> My guess is that those 24 dentries are just noise. What we should
> do is verify with a large number of devices if the numbers are all
> that different after a walk of the sysfs tree.

Ok, a better test would be with a _lot_ of devices. Care to test with a
lot of scsi debug devices?

> > Remember, every kobject that's created will cause a call to
> > /sbin/hotplug which will cause udev to walk the sysfs tree to get the
> > information for that kobject. So I don't see any savings in these
> > patches, do you?
>
> Assuming that unused files/dirs are aged out of dentry and inode cache,
> it should benefit. The numbers you should look at are -

> After mounting sysfs
> -------------------
> dentry_cache (active) 2350 1321
> inode_cache (active) 1058 31
> LowFree 875096 KB 875836 KB
>
> That saves ~800KB. If you just mount sysfs and use a few files, you
> aren't eating up dentries and inodes for every file in sysfs. How often
> do you expect hotplug events to happen in a system ?

Every kobject that is created and is associated with a subsystem
generates a hotplug call. So that's about every kobject that we care
about here :)

> Some time after a hotplug event, dentries/inodes will get aged out and
> then you should see savings. It should greatly benefit in a normal
> system.

Can you show this happening?

> Now if the additional kobjects cause problems with userland hotplug, then
> that needs to be resolved. However that seems to be a different problem
> altogether. Could you please elaborate on that ?

No, I don't think the additional ones you have added will cause
problems, but can you verify this? Just log all hotplug events
happening in your system (point /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug to a simple
logging program).

But again, I don't think the added overhead you have added to a kobject
is acceptable for not much gain for the normal case (systems without a
zillion devices.)

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.050 / U:0.260 seconds]