    SubjectRe: Idea for improving linux buffer cache behaviour
    On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 10:34:58PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
    > On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 03:14:14PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > > On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, David Ashley wrote:
    > >
    > > > Forgive me if this has already been thought of, or is obsolete, or is
    > > > just plain a bad idea, but here it is:
    > >
    > > Do you also want an answer if the kernel already does
    > > exactly what you are suggesting ? ;)
    > >
    > Then why doesn't it work better?
    > > > 1) Lowest access count looked at first to toss
    > > > 2) If access counts equal, throw out oldest first
    > >
    > > > The net result is commonly used items you very much want to remain in
    > > > cache always quickly get rated very highly as the system is used.
    > >
    > > Which results in exactly the behaviour you're complaining
    > > about ;))
    > So, you use the system, have glibc loaded, and then play a dvd, and now
    > glibc needs to be re-read because it's not in cache.
    > Why wasn't glibc (one example) kept in cache with the streaming read from
    > the dvd?

    There may be many reasons here, take a look at how many times the
    dvd contents were used. You may get a surprise there.
    The number ought to be 1, right? But the burner program may read
    smaller chunks or something, causing many references to the same block.

    Also, the number-of-references approach has its own problems.
    Something that is used a lot for a while will stay in cache for
    a long while when no longer used, taking up space. That can be
    a problem too - i.e. run some large simulation which fill up
    memory for a while, and nothing else stays in cache afterwards.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.021 / U:1.784 seconds]