    SubjectRe: freed_symbols [Re: People, not GPL [was: Re: Driver Model]]
    Date
    On Monday 15 September 2003 00:57, Erik Andersen wrote:
    > On Mon Sep 15, 2003 at 12:17:37AM +0000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
    > > Erik Andersen <andersen@codepoet.org> writes:
    > > >When you are done making noise, please explain how a closed
    > > >source binary only product that runs within the context of the
    > > >Linux kernel is not a derivitive work and therefore not subject
    > > >to the terms of the GPL, per the definition given in the kernel
    > > >COPYING file that grants you your limited rights for copying,
    > > >distribution and modification.
    > >
    > > "Because Linus said so".
    >
    > It does not say "Because Linus said so" in the Linux kernel
    > COPYING file, which is the only official document that grants
    > legal permission to copy, distribute and/or modify the kernel.

    Linus clearly and publicly stated his position on binary only kernel modules
    almost exactly one year ago:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Pine.LNX.4.44.0210170958340.6739-100000%40home.transmeta.com.lucky.linux.kernel

    He basically said there IS no module exception to the GPL, it's just a
    question of what is and is not a derived work.

    The kernel developers have marked up portions of the API to indicate "we
    consider anything that needs to access this deeply internal bit to be a
    derived work, hence subject to the GPL". That's what GPL_ONLY _means_.
    Needing to re-export that therefore opens you up to a lawsuit. (Whether you
    can defend yourself in court from that lawsuit is always an open question,
    but by adding GPL_ONLY markup the developers made their intent much more
    clear, which is unlikely to help you convince a judge of your interpretation
    if you explicitly undo that markup and then claim the license doesn't apply
    to you...)

    Here's the relevant section of the above posting from Linus:

    -----

    I will re-iterate my stance on the GPL and kernel modules:

    There is NOTHING in the kernel license that allows modules to be
    non-GPL'd.

    The _only_ thing that allows for non-GPL modules is copyright law, and
    in particular the "derived work" issue. A vendor who distributes non-GPL
    modules is _not_ protected by the module interface per se, and should
    feel very confident that they can show in a court of law that the code
    is not derived.

    The module interface has NEVER been documented or meant to be a GPL
    barrier. The COPYING clearly states that the system call layer is such a
    barrier, so if you do your work in user land you're not in any way
    beholden to the GPL. The module interfaces are not system calls: there
    are system calls used to _install_ them, but the actual interfaces are
    not.

    The original binary-only modules were for things that were pre-existing
    works of code, ie drivers and filesystems ported from other operating
    systems, which thus could clearly be argued to not be derived works, and
    the original limited export table also acted somewhat as a barrier to
    show a level of distance.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.025 / U:0.852 seconds]