    SubjectRe: RadeonFB [Re: 2.4.23pre8 - ACPI Kernel Panic on boot]
    Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

    >Ok, first thing: XFree "radeon" _is_ accelerated, though it doesn't
    >do 3D on recent cards
    Hi Ben - Right, sorry, I mean to apply "accelerated" to the 3D effects;
    the private ATI driver is much faster on glxgears than the version that
    bundles with XFree.

    >Then, the problem you are having is well known
    I'm having two, actually. The first is that YPAN is getting quite
    confused. If I switch VCs, then switch back, the text has been
    re-arranged, the cursor is often invisible, and sometimes a page or two
    of new text must be written before anything starts to show up on the
    screen again. Experimenting shows that setting VYRES = YRES works
    around this problem.

    The second problem is of course the register contents issue when
    returning from certain graphics programs (e.g. X+fglr) to text mode.. I
    rather like your idea of doing a re-init when switching from KD_GRAPHICS
    to KD_TEXT, as the monitor blank during resolution switch will likely
    overshadow the re-init process.

    >Can you verify that running fbset -accel 0 then back 1 cures the
    >problem for you ?

    At work now, will try when I return home later...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.023 / U:33.552 seconds]