    SubjectRe: Post-halloween doc updates.
    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:15:19 +0000 Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:

    | The post-halloween document. v0.46
    | (aka, 2.6 - what to expect)
    | Dave Jones <davej@codemonkey.org.uk>
    | (Updated as of 2.6.0test9)

    | Known gotchas.
    | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    | Certain known bugs are being reported over and over. Here are the
    | workarounds.
    | - Can't load any modules? You need updated tools (See modules section below).

    - depmod reports Unresolved symbols? depmod from modutils instead of
    depmod from module-init-tools is first in $PATH (might be different
    $PATHs as $USER and $ROOT)

    | Regressions.
    | ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    | - Some filesystems still need work (Intermezzo, UFS, HFS, HPFS..)

    + EFS (has a blocksize problem, depending on the device that the
    filesystem is being mounted on)

    | Modules.
    | ~~~~~~~~
    | - Modules now have a .ko suffix instead of .o

    Some (older) versions of 'mkinitrd' don't search for modules
    that end with .ko, so update your mkinitrd if this is a problem.

    [
    or is this invalid since initrd isn't used any more?
    if that's the case, mention it in here somewhere...
    need to add anything about initramfs?
    ]

    | Nanosecond stat:
    | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    | The stat64() syscall got changed to return jiffies granularity.
    | This allows make(1) to make better decisions on whether or not it
    | needs to recompile a file. Not all filesystems may support such precision.

    General comment/change: use 'was changed' instead of 'got changed' (above).
    This is the second or third instance that I've noticed where 'got'
    should/would better be 'was', so if you would do a global search and
    conditional replace for those, that would be Good.

    | Generic VFS changes.
    | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    | - Since Linux 2.5.1 it is possible to atomically move a subtree to
    | another place. The call is...
    s/call/usage/
    | mount --move olddir newdir

    | sysfs.
    | ~~~~~~
    | In simple terms, the sysfs filesystem is a saner way for
    | drivers to export their innards than /proc.
    | This filesystem is always compiled in, and can be mounted
    | just like another virtual filesystem. No userspace tools
    | beyond cat and echo are needed.

    'tree' is also nice for viewing it.

    | mount -t sysfs none /sys
    |
    | See Documentation/filesystems/sysfs.txt for more info.
    |

    | SELinux.
    | ~~~~~~~~
    | NSA Security-Enhanced Linux (SELinux) got merged in 2.6.
    | It is disabled by default and can be enabled with a boot time parameter
    | selinux=1.
    | You can obtain SELinux tools and an example policy configuration from
    | http://www.nsa.gov/selinux

    Somebody correct me here if needed...
    selinux can't just be enabled by using 'selinux=1', if the config
    options are set for checking that.
    The way that I read security/selinux/Kconfig and hooks.c,
    if SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM is enabled, then the 'selinux'
    boot option is also enabled. However, it can be disabled by using
    'selinux=0' as a kernel boot option.

    | Networking.
    | ~~~~~~~~~~~
    | - Users of boxes with >1 NIC may find that for eg, eth0 and eth1 refer to
    | the opposites of what they did in 2.4. This is a bug that will be fixed
    | before 2.6.0. One option (or management workaround) for this is to use

    It will be? It's time to do it then, if it's not already done...

    | 'nameif' to name Ethernet interfaces. There is a HOWTO for doing this at
    | <http://xenotime.net/linux/doc/network-interface-names.txt>

    | - SCTP (Stream Control Transport Protocol)

    RFC 2960 - Stream Control Transmission Protocol

    Overall a very good job, Dave. Thanks for keeping this updated.

    --
    ~Randy