    SubjectRe: 2.6.0-test9 vs sound
    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:08:27 -0500
    Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:

    > Where can I find a step by step tutorial on installing alsa since OSS
    > has been deprecated? I've been using the shareware OSS on this mobo
    > for years, the audio chipset is VIA 8233 family. I have as much of
    > it compiled into the kernel as there are checkmarks in kconfig but
    > nothing soundwise is working yet. I also put that LXD option on the
    > grub line, but thats being ignored, the dmesg comment is still there.
    > If grub.conf wasn't where it goes, please advise on that too.
    >
    > I've been booted to this for about 10 hours now, and so far sound is
    > the only thing not working that I've needed. Not all of my usb stuff
    > has been exercized yet though.
    >
    > So far it just plain feels good, congrats to all involved.
    >
    > Mmm, the pair of warnings about the check_region call being deprecated
    > are still there in the advansys driver, but it worked normally for
    > amanda last night.

    I would start from the source:
    http://alsa-project.org/documentation.php3
    Or, try the Linux Audio Users Guide:

    http://www.djcj.org/LAU/guide/index.php

    A setup guide for the via8233, with module config info is here:

    http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=via8233

    cliffw

    > --
    > Cheers, Gene
    > AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
    > Athlon1600XP@1400mhz 512M
    > 99.27% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly
    > Yahoo.com attornies please note, additions to this message
    > by Gene Heskett are:
    > Copyright 2003 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.
    >
    > -

    The church is near, but the road is icy.
    The bar is far, but i will walk carefully. - Russian proverb