    Subjectserious 2.6 bug in USB subsystem?
    One-line summary: plug-in your USB keyboard, see your machine die.

    So, I have this non-name USB keyboard (with built-in 2-port USB hub)
    which reliably crashes 2.6.0-test{8,9} on both x86 and ia64. In
    retrospect, it's clear to me that the same keyboard also occasionally
    crashes 2.4 kernels, but there the problem appears more seldom.
    Perhaps once in 10 reboots and once the machine is booted and the
    keyboard is running, it keeps on working. The keyboard in question is
    a BTC 5141H.

    I'm wondering if anybody out there has the same keyboard and could see
    if the same problem exists with all 5141H keyboards.

    In any case, even if the keyboard happened to be completely broken, I
    don't think it should be possible to crash the kernel merely by
    connecting a (potentially) bad USB device, so, regardless, there seems
    to be something off in the 2.6 USB subsystem.

    Here is a more detailed description of how to reproduce the problem
    and the behavior that I'm seeing with 2.6 (I don't think the exact
    kernel version matters much; it definitely happens both with
    2.6.0-test8 and 2.6.0-test9):

    1) disconnect the 5141H keyboard
    2) power on the machine
    3) boot into Linux 2.6
    4) connect the keyboard
    5) see the normal "USB HID" keyboard connection message
    6) wait a few seconds
    7) machine is dead

    On x86, I see this message prior to the death of the machine:

    drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: ctrl urb status -104 received
    drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: timeout initializing reports

    On ia64, the keyboards triggers an MCA apparently because the USB
    controller ends up trying to read from physical address 0xf0000000,
    which is a write-only area for the box in question.

    I don't have a lot of experience with debugging the USB stack, but if
    there is something in particular you want me to try, let me know.

    Thanks,

    --david

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.023 / U:1.420 seconds]