SubjectAlsa deadlock fix (was Re: 2.6-test8 : alsa hangs my box)
Date
I am seeing this hang also, on a different card, whenever a native alsa and an
OSS-emulation app collide. No nVidia stuff this time, and not snd_intel8x0
either, this is w/ a via82xx motherboard's integrated sound. From what little
one can tell from the sysrq-T backtrace, it looks like a classic deadlock
(both tasks stick in down(), probably on different mutexes).

It also looks like it has alreay been fixed (in alsa 0.9.7b) - I think the
kernel's alsa is approximately equivalent to 0.9.6 these days? So, it looks
like either some work to port that patch or a wholesale merge of alsa 0.9.8
would be good before 2.6.0... probably the former given Linus's
strongly-worded comments with -test9 :-)

But a deadlock that results in two unkillable state 'D' processes whenever you
an OSS and an alsa-native app access the soundcard at the same time, which
happens on both VIA and Intel integrated sound, seems like a hang which might
meet his criteria of problems which "causes lockups or just basic
nonworkingness: and this happens on hardware that normal people are expected
to have". So I figured it's worth asking if someone who already knows what
the fix consisted of could push it toward Linus ...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.666 / U:0.040 seconds]