    SubjectRe: [Dri-devel] Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] DRM and pci_driver conversion
    Video drivers only enable the ROM long enough to get some values out it and
    then disable it. You don't want to leave ROMs enabled because there is some
    hardware that uses the same address decoder for ROM and RAM and you can't use
    them both at the same time.

    --- Jeff Garzik <> wrote:
    > Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > [ Jeff: is that PCI ROM enable _really_ that complicated? Ouch. Or is
    > > there some helper function I missed? ]
    > The mechanics aren't complicated, but I seem to recall there being a
    > Real Good Reason why you want to leave it disabled 99% of the time. No,
    > I don't recall that reason :( But my fuzzy memory seems to think that
    > "enable, grab a slice o 'rom, disable" was viable.
    > Jeff

    Jon Smirl

    Do you Yahoo!?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.018 / U:19.512 seconds]