SubjectRe: [2.6.0-test4] IDE power management
On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 09:46:21AM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > hda: start_power_step(step: 0)
> > hda: start_power_step(step: 1)
> > hda: complete_power_step(step: 1, stat: 50, err:0)
> > hda: completing PM request, suspend
> > hda: a request made it's way while we are power managing
> > --- power down/up occurs here
> > hda: Wakeup request inited, waiting for !BSY...
> > hda: start_power_step(step: 1000)
> > hda: completing PM request, resume
> > hda: lost interrupt
> >
> > The hard disk won't allow any accesses any more.
> >
> > APM suspend to RAM doesn't work properly on this machine, so I haven't
> > tested that.
>
> I'm afraid we may have APM junk getting in our way. It would be
> interesting to check out what is the request that made its way while
> power managing, though I usually consider this is harmless...
>
> The lost interrupt problem may or may not be related, it could well
> be an IRQ routing problem as well. Did you have DMA enabled ? What
> happens if you disable that before suspend ? You can also add some
> printk to piix_config_drive_xfer_rate() in piix.c to check if that
> is properly getting called and doesn't fail.

I didn't get time to do this before the disk in my laptop died. I've put it a
new disk and installed 2.6.0-test7, and IDE now seems to works after a resume.

I think the disk is still spinning down before suspend (it's difficult to tell,
because I can hardly hear the new disk) and this needs to be fixed at some
point.

Regards
Charlie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.117 / U:0.168 seconds]