    SubjectRe: Blockbusting news, results are in
    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Chuck Campbell wrote:

    > On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:18:33AM +0900, Norman Diamond wrote:
    > > It still seems that either Linux must
    > > be made to work around known bad blocks or else hard disks and Linux cannot
    > > be used together on a computer.
    >
    > That is a bit of a troll. I suspect that 70 - 90 percent of linux
    > installations on a computer are using hard disks. Yet the number of people
    > having the same problem as you doesn't appear to be 100% of those.
    >
    > Making intentionally inflammatory statements to try and win others to your
    > point of view tends to do exactly the opposite.
    >
    > If there are enough people experiencing the problem, it gets fixed, at least
    > as far as I can tell. There have been a nunmber of viable ideas proposed
    > in this thread to handle the situation you are talking about, and while
    > none of them are exactly what you proposed, feel free to write code. Baiting
    > comments like the above don't really accomplish anything constructive.
    >
    > -chuck

    I thought both ext2 and ext3 do handle bad-blocks. They just
    don't make them owned by a "file" because the Unix file-systems
    don't require dummy directory entries.

    If the respondent wants them isolated into a "BADBLOCKS" file,
    he can make a utility to do that. It's really quite easy because
    you can raw-read disks under Linux, plus there is already
    the `badblocks` program that will locate them.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.064 / U:0.296 seconds]