Subject[ANNOUNCE] udev 004 release
Hi,

I've released the 004 version of udev. It can be found at:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-004.tar.gz

Thanks to Robert Love, there are now rpms available at:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-004-1.i386.rpm
with the source rpm at:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-004-1.src.rpm

udev is a implementation of devfs in userspace using sysfs and
/sbin/hotplug. It requires a 2.6 kernel to run properly.

The major changes since the 003 release are:
- MAJOR speedups over the previous version. No more "sleep(1)"
always, we now wait for the "dev" file to show up, and not
blindly guess.
- partitions now work again.
- removal of devices that were named differently from the kernel
name work properly.
- proper spec file.
- a man page with real content.
- sync up with current version of libsysfs.

Many thanks to Dan Stekloff, Kay Sievers, and Robert Love for their help
with patches for this release. I really appreciate it.

The full ChangeLog can be found below.

The udev FAQ can be found at:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ

Development of udev is done in a BitKeeper tree available at:
bk://kernel.bkbits.net/gregkh/udev/

If anyone ever wants a snapshot of the current tree, due to not using
BitKeeper, or other reasons, is always available at any time by asking.

thanks,

greg k-h

Summary of changes from v003 to v004

Daniel E. F. Stekloff:
o new version of libsysfs patch

Greg Kroah-Hartman:
o 004 release
o major database cleanups
o Changed test.block and test.tty to take ACTION from the command line
o don't sleep if 'dev' file is already present on device add
o fix comment about how the "dev" file is made up
o more database work. Now we only store the info we really need right now
o add BUS= bug to TODO list so it will not get forgotten
o spec file changes
o test.block changes
o ok, rpm likes the "_" character instead of "-" better
o change the version to 003-bk to keep things sane with people using the bk tree
o got "remove of named devices" working
o fix segfaults when dealing with partitions

Kay Sievers:
o man file update
o man page update

Robert Love:
o udev: mode should be mode_t
o udev: trivial trivialities
o udev: cool test scripts again
o udev spec file symlink support
o udev: cool test scripts
o udev spec file bits

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.069 / U:0.060 seconds]