SubjectRe: Uncorrectable Error on IDE, significant accumulation
Konstantin Kletschke wrote the following on 10/20/2003 03:27 PM :

>Hi there.
>
>I have a probably unusual question which is mainly directed to the
>linux-kernel IDE driver developers due to their experience with IDE
>disks.
>
>I have a PC @home, which accumulates HDDs in it which die.
>
>This Weekend my 120GB Maxtor begun to die with Uncorrectable Errors.
>I thought "OK, another damn Quality Hard Drive" But half a year ago I
>replaced a not so old 40GB MAxtor in it and before that a 20GB System
>Disk and a WD800JB has already 6 Secors remapped (smartctl -a). My
>friends call me the "Master of the HDD cemetary".
>
>After that I realized, that 99% of my harddisk which die do this in that
>PC. I have a K7S5A Mainboard in it with SiS chipset. Kernel IDE Driver
>sis5513 is compiled in, UDMA switched on.

When did you purchase it ? Better : can you find the revision (black on
white sticker glued in the corner of the motherboard near the last PCI
slot) ?

There were electrical defects with the earliest K7S5A revisions (I
returned one myself). Rev 0, 1, 2 and 3 are affected, I don't remember
for 4-6 but IIRC rev 7 and above aren't affected : I have a rev 5 or 7
at home (don't remember which one it is) and it works perfectly.

LB.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.988 / U:0.604 seconds]