    SubjectRe: Promise IDE patches
    Hi Bartolomeij, hi Marcelo!

    Two months ago, I had problems with a >137GB drive on a promise
    controller. These where fixed by a few patches, and the computer runs
    fine since then with a patched 2.4.22 kernel.

    Unfortunately, as far as I can see, none of the patches got applied to
    2.4.23-pre7. I know that Alan had a few objections against the patches,
    and they should be addressed, but as things are now, plain 2.4.23-pre7
    would lead to severe data corruption if I used it on my computer.

    For reference, here is the complete mail where Bartolomeij asked Marcelo
    to apply the patches:

    On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:54:27AM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
    > Marcelo can you apply these patches?
    > On Wednesday 27 of August 2003 00:31, Jan Niehusmann wrote:
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > Two weeks ago, I tried two patches against 2.4.21 regarding LBA48
    > > support. One limits the size of a drive to 137GB if LBA48 is not
    > > available. Without this patch, severe data corruption is possible.
    > >

    > > The other one is making LBA48 support work with pdc 20265 controllers.
    > >

    > > I think they should be candidates for inclusion in 2.4.23, as well as
    > > a fix for hdparm -I (and other commands going directly to the drive) on
    > > (some?) promise controllers:
    > >

    > > Jan

    Alan mentioned problems with patches 1 and 3, but AFAIK nobody had
    problems with patch 2. Consult the archives for details, it's all been
    on linux-kernel.

    Even though I could easily fix 2.4.23 for myself, I'd really like to
    have the official kernel work without local patches. And I guess an
    increasing number of people is using drives >137GB, so it can easily hit
    other people as well.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.022 / U:5.840 seconds]