SubjectRe: Blockbusting news, results are in

Okay Hans,

First if people will bother to remember that everything about storage is a
"LIE". Then the rest of the issue will be simple.

The private version of DCO was jokingly referred to ad "dollars for
gigabytes".

Designed for the idiot and moron system administrator who only knows how
to apply a snapshot image to a drive. These are the special class of SA's
who because the system was purchased w/ a 20MB drive, they could only
install another 20MB drive.

The reality as Eric (maxtor) pointed out, drive companies can not keep
drive lifetimes that long. However the cheap path the drive industry took
was to cheat the warrenty. Now with DCO (vendor version), they could
provide any drive as a "de-stroked" capacity they want. Thus recall I
added but now may have been removed "STROKE" option.

Now the private version can alter the entire IDENTIFY page.

So a 200GB drive can be made to look and report as that 20GB drive.
This includes faking (the big lie) the model, capacity, features,
revision, and firmware. Additionally listing such "LIES" on company web
sites as valid products.

Now where did the joke come from? If some one like me was to announce
they have the means to detect such a DCO event, which I can not. That
person could sell at a price a tool to make disks magically grow in
capacity.

So depending on how much you were willing to pay and how much the
individual want to charge, they could gradually expand your drive to full
capacity (native) and charge you for each step.

So now that the story of the DCO is out, have fun finding it. Also do
thank the lamers and brain dead SA's who could not live with a simple HPA,
to force the creation of yet another storage "LIE".

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group