SubjectRe: statfs() / statvfs() syscall ballsup...

Ingo Oeser <ioe-lkml@rameria.de> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> first: I think the problem is solvable with mixing blocking and
> non-blocking IO or simply AIO, which will be supported nicely by 2.6.0,
> is a POSIX standard and is meant for doing your own IO scheduling.

I think aio could be very useful for databases, but not in this area. I think
it's useful as a more fine-grained tool than sync/fsync. Currently the
database has to fsync a file to commit a transaction, which means flushing
_all_writes to the file even ones from other transactions. If aio inserted
write barriers to the disk controller then it would provide a way to ensure
the current transaction is synced without having to flush all other
transactions writes at the same time.

But I don't see how it's useful for the problem I'm describing.

> On Wednesday 15 October 2003 17:03, Greg Stark wrote:
> >
> > Actually I think that's exactly backwards. The problem is that if the
> > user-space tries to throttle the process it doesn't know how much or when.
> > The kernel knows exactly when there are other higher priority writes, it
> > can schedule just enough writes from vacuum to not interfere.
>
> On dedicated servers this might be true. But on these you could also
> solve it in user space by measuring disk bandwidth and issueing just
> enough IO to keep up roughly with it.

Indeed we're discussing methods for doing that now. But this seems like a
awkward way to accomplish what the kernel could do very precisely. I don't see
why non-dedicated servers would be make priorities any less useful, in fact I
think that's exactly where they would shine.

> > So if vacuum slept a bit, say every 64k of data vacuumed. It could end up
> > sleeping when the disks are actually idle. Or it could be not sleeping
> > enough and still be interfering with transactions.
>
> The vacuum io is submitted (via AIO or simulation of it) normally in a
> unit U and waiting ALWAYS for U to complete, before submitting a new one.
> Between submitting units, the vacuums checks for outstanding transactions
> and stops, when we have one.
>
> Now a transaction is submitted and the submitting from vacuum is stopped
> by it existing. The transaction waits for completion (e.g. aio_suspend())
> and signals vacuum to continue.

User-space has no idea if disk i/o is occurring. The data the transaction
needs could be cached, or it could be on a different disk.

Besides, I think this is far too coarse-grained than what's needed.
Transactions sometimes run for seconds, minutes, or hours,, some of that time
is spent doing disk i/o and some of it doing cpu calculations. It can't stop
and signal another process every time it finishes reading a block and needs to
do a bit of calculation. Then context switch again a millisecond later so it
can read the next block...

And besides, this is would only useful on dedicated servers.

--
greg