SubjectRe: Full specifications available for RealTek 8180 wireless chipset
From

Who told you the document is stolen?

I received it *officially* from RealTek's support people.

Nevetheless, since you seem to imply that people inside RealTek might "leak"
this document against the orders of their hierarchy, I am removing it, and
I will only put it back online, and reannounce it, when I have _written_
authorization from their headquarters, instead of just a mail.

Thanks for casting doubt on the honesty and reliability of RealTek's
employees, something I would never have imagined before your post

--Roberto Di Cosmo

Jeff> Roberto Di Cosmo wrote:
>> Having experienced a large set of delusions using the closed source
>> drivers for the RealTek 8180 wireless chipset available on RealTek web
>> site on a stock kernel 2.4.20, that do confirm the posting of
>> fedor@karpelevitch.net on September 11 2003 about kernel freeze with
>> stock 2.4.22, I politely complained with RealTek, suggesting they open
>> the code or release the chipset specifications to the community.
>>
>> I received today the full chipset specifications, that I uploaded to
>> http://www.dicosmo.org/RTL8180spec_1_3.pdf
>>
>> I hope this may help, if somebody is willing to undertake writing a real,
>> full fledged, Linux-quality driver for this chipset.
>>
>> Sorry for not being able to do this myself.

Jeff> Having announced this to thousands of people -- including RealTek
Jeff> subscribers, no doubt -- you have poisoned any effort to write a
Jeff> driver off this obviously-stolen document.

Jeff> I hope others learn from your example, of what NOT to do.

Jeff> Thanks for damaging my efforts to work on this through RealTek,

Jeff> Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.044 / U:0.472 seconds]