SubjectRe: [RFC] frandom - fast random generator module

Eli Billauer wrote:

>>> Frandom is the faster version of the well-known /dev/urandom random
>>> number generator. Not instead of, but rather as a supplement, when
>>> pseudorandom data is needed at high rate. Few tests so far show that
>>> frandom is 10-50 times faster than urandom.
>>>

>> Without looking at the code, why should this be done in the kernel?
>

> I suppose you're asking why having a /dev/frandom device at all. Why
> not let everyone write their own little random generator (based upon
> well-known C functions) whenever random data is needed.

Yes, a userspace solution that makes use of the existing kernel random
number source if needed.

> There are plenty of handy things in the kernel, that could be done in
> userspace. /dev/zero is my favourite example, but I'm sure there are
> other cases where things were put in the kernel simply because people
> found them handy. Which is a good reason, if you ask me.

There is probably a lot in the kernel that can (and a lot that should) be
done in userspace (although I'm not sure /dev/zero is one of them).

This doesn't mean having them in the kernel is a good idea because they are
handy. I'm not passing judgement on your module though - I was just
wondering
why it is in kernel.

> Besides, it's quite easy to do something wrong with random numbers. By
> having a good source of random data, I suppose we can spare a lot of
> people the headache of getting their own user-space application right
> for the one-off thing they want to do.

Although we do have 2 types of random number sources in the kernel. I'm not
sure we'd want to keep adding them as the need arises. Maybe if it were
a very
general and configurable one, but AFAIKS frandom is not.

Cheers,
Nick

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans