    SubjectRe: [RFC] frandom - fast random generator module

    Eli Billauer wrote:

    >>> Frandom is the faster version of the well-known /dev/urandom random
    >>> number generator. Not instead of, but rather as a supplement, when
    >>> pseudorandom data is needed at high rate. Few tests so far show that
    >>> frandom is 10-50 times faster than urandom.
    >> Without looking at the code, why should this be done in the kernel?
    > I suppose you're asking why having a /dev/frandom device at all. Why
    > not let everyone write their own little random generator (based upon
    > well-known C functions) whenever random data is needed.

    Yes, a userspace solution that makes use of the existing kernel random
    number source if needed.

    > There are plenty of handy things in the kernel, that could be done in
    > userspace. /dev/zero is my favourite example, but I'm sure there are
    > other cases where things were put in the kernel simply because people
    > found them handy. Which is a good reason, if you ask me.

    There is probably a lot in the kernel that can (and a lot that should) be
    done in userspace (although I'm not sure /dev/zero is one of them).

    This doesn't mean having them in the kernel is a good idea because they are
    handy. I'm not passing judgement on your module though - I was just
    why it is in kernel.

    > Besides, it's quite easy to do something wrong with random numbers. By
    > having a good source of random data, I suppose we can spare a lot of
    > people the headache of getting their own user-space application right
    > for the one-off thing they want to do.

    Although we do have 2 types of random number sources in the kernel. I'm not
    sure we'd want to keep adding them as the need arises. Maybe if it were
    a very
    general and configurable one, but AFAIKS frandom is not.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.025 / U:3.232 seconds]