    SubjectRe: [RFC] frandom - fast random generator module

    >> Frandom is the faster version of the well-known /dev/urandom random
    >> number generator. Not instead of, but rather as a supplement, when
    >> pseudorandom data is needed at high rate. Few tests so far show that
    >> frandom is 10-50 times faster than urandom.
    >>

    > Without looking at the code, why should this be done in the kernel?

    I suppose you're asking why having a /dev/frandom device at all. Why not
    let everyone write their own little random generator (based upon
    well-known C functions) whenever random data is needed.

    There are plenty of handy things in the kernel, that could be done in
    userspace. /dev/zero is my favourite example, but I'm sure there are
    other cases where things were put in the kernel simply because people
    found them handy. Which is a good reason, if you ask me.

    Besides, it's quite easy to do something wrong with random numbers. By
    having a good source of random data, I suppose we can spare a lot of
    people the headache of getting their own user-space application right
    for the one-off thing they want to do.

    But it's really a matter of taste. That's why I bring up the subject here.

    Eli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.020 / U:60.092 seconds]