SubjectRe: [RFC] frandom - fast random generator module

>> Frandom is the faster version of the well-known /dev/urandom random
>> number generator. Not instead of, but rather as a supplement, when
>> pseudorandom data is needed at high rate. Few tests so far show that
>> frandom is 10-50 times faster than urandom.
>>

> Without looking at the code, why should this be done in the kernel?

I suppose you're asking why having a /dev/frandom device at all. Why not
let everyone write their own little random generator (based upon
well-known C functions) whenever random data is needed.

There are plenty of handy things in the kernel, that could be done in
userspace. /dev/zero is my favourite example, but I'm sure there are
other cases where things were put in the kernel simply because people
found them handy. Which is a good reason, if you ask me.

Besides, it's quite easy to do something wrong with random numbers. By
having a good source of random data, I suppose we can spare a lot of
people the headache of getting their own user-space application right
for the one-off thing they want to do.

But it's really a matter of taste. That's why I bring up the subject here.

Eli

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans