SubjectRe: Circular Convolution scheduler

Piet Delaney wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 03:28, Nick Piggin wrote:
>

>>Jamie Lokier wrote:

>>>Hmm. Prediction is potentially useful.
>>>
>>>Instead of an educated ad-hoc pile of heuristics for _dictating_
>>>scheduling behaviour, you can systematically analyse just what is it
>>>you're trying to achieve, and design a behaviour which achieves that
>>>as closely as possible.
>>>

>>Maybe, although as I said, I just don't know what exactly you would
>>predict and what the goals would be.
>>
>>And often you'll be left with an ad-hoc pile of heuristics driving
>>(or being driven by) your ad-hoc analysis / prediction thingy. Analysing
>>the end result becomes very difficult. See drivers/block/as-iosched.c :P
>>

>>>This is where good predictors come in: you feed all the possible
>>>scheduling decisions at any point in time into the predictor, and use
>>>the output to decide which decision gave the most desired result -
>>>taking into account the likelihood of future behaviours. Of course
>>>you have to optimise this calculation.
>>>
>>>This is classical control theory. In practice it comes up with
>>>something like what we have already :) But the design path is
>>>different, and if you're very thoroughly analytical about it, maybe
>>>there's a chance of avoiding weird corner behaviours that weren't
>>>intended.
>>>

>I was wondering about an application in user space that monitors
>various time series within the system. It would periodically
>perform System Identification by placing the samples
>into a matrix and find the cross correlation coefficients by
>minimizing the noise of their combination. This matrix would then
>by run in real time, perhaps in the kernel, to crank a Kalman Filter
>to predict the least squares best estimate for the values of the
>system time series. Here is where ad-hoc algorithms then use these
>precicted values to dynamically change the system behavior. I would
>expect the scheduler and pageout code could do better if they knew
>that the odds are high that in 10 seconds a huge demand is going
>to be made on the system memory for example.

I don't expect the scheduler would benefit at all from this sort of future
knowledge or knowledge of each task's patterns.

>Things like effects of lunch and dinner breaks, weekend, holidays,
>stock market activity, number of servers up, could be combined with
>the servers time series. System Identification and Kalman filters
>could be run in Long Term, Medium Term, and Sort Term time frames
>to predict in these various time frames; similar to how some commodity
>traders trade in multiple time frames.
>
>You can get very fancy and even add seasonal and non-linear support
>like Dr.Harvey did at the London School of Economics.

I fail to see how this would be simpler or more provably "right" than a
manually designed system.

I would rather not continue in this discussion as I'm not at all
qualified to give further input, and I'm just speculating. I'd love to
see a working implementation though.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.074 / U:0.148 seconds]