    SubjectRe: Transparent compression in the FS
    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > Val Henson wrote:
    > > Abstract:
    > >
    > > "Recent research has produced a new and perhaps dangerous technique
    > > for uniquely identifying blocks that I will call
    > > compare-by-hash. Using this technique, we decide whether two blocks
    > > are identical to each other by comparing their hash values, using a
    > > collision-resistant hash such as SHA-1. If the hash values match,
    > > we assume the blocks are identical without further ado. Users of
    > > compare-by-hash argue that this assumption is warranted because the
    > > chance of a hash collision between any two randomly generated blocks
    > > is estimated to be many orders of magnitude smaller than the chance
    > > of many kinds of hardware errors. Further analysis shows that this
    > > approach is not as risk-free as it seems at first glance."
    >

    > I'm curious if anyone has done any work on using multiple different
    > checksums? For example, the cost of checksumming a single block with
    > multiple algorithms (sha1+md5+crc32 for a crazy example), and storing
    > each checksum (instead of just one sha1 sum), may be faster than reading
    > the block off of disk to compare it with the incoming block. OTOH,
    > there is still a mathematical possibility (however-more-remote) of a
    > collission...

    At that point it is better to extend the fingerprint size, since the SHA1
    algorithm has a better distribution compared to md5 and crc32. Probability
    estimates are pretty low though. If you consider a 2^32 blocks FS, that
    with a 4Kb block size makes a 4 tera FS, the collision probability is in
    the orders of 2^(-95) (with a 160 bit fingerprint). That's a pretty low
    number. Yes, it is true that the input is not completely random, but a
    good property of SHA1 is the one of spreading output result of very
    similar input patterns.

    - Davide

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.022 / U:123.116 seconds]