    SubjectRe: Transparent compression in the FS
    On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:13:27AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Josh and others should take a look at Plan9's venti file storage method
    > -- archival storage is a series of unordered blocks, all of which are
    > indexed by the sha1 hash of their contents. This magically coalesces
    > all duplicate blocks by its very nature, including the loooooong runs of
    > zeroes that you'll find in many filesystems. I bet savings on "all
    > bytes in this block are zero" are worth a bunch right there.

    The only problem with this is that you can get false positives. Val Hensen
    recently wrote a paper about this. It's really unlikely that you get false
    positives but it can happen and it has happened in the field.
    Larry McVoy lm at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.024 / U:5.096 seconds]