    SubjectRe: Why are bad disk sectors numbered strangely, and what happens to them?
    On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 01:57:42PM +0400, Hans Reiser wrote:
    > Rogier Wolff wrote:
    > >Of course, I left my drive that indicated it had problems (i.e. it
    > >didn't spot the sector going bad before it became unreadable), in the
    > >machine for another two days. It's getting replaced ASAP (i.e. the
    > >next hour or so).

    > replacing the drive is reasonable caution. I think though that the
    > other poster is right that IFF you want to remap bad blocks, the drive
    > should do it not reiserfs.

    It is a "pretty much for free" feature. In your in-kernel
    implementation you hopefully already have the ability to skip blocks
    in use by other files. So allocating it to a special file will take
    care of the kernel part. Next you need one line in your fsck to
    prevent that "dangling inode" getting linked into lost+found. Then you
    do need a utility to actually be able to mark blocks as bad.

    Roger.

    --
    ** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
    **** "Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!" ****