    SubjectRe: ReiserFS patch for updating ctimes of renamed files
    jw schultz wrote:
    > Of course if i had designed it in the first place with the
    > filesystem semantics that we have now there might be no
    > rename system call. Renames would be done by link(oldpath,
    > newpath); unlink(oldpath); A sequence that would cause
    > ctime to change as a result of nlink changes. A sequence
    > that might be appropriate in some cases even inside the
    > filesystem code.

    Once upon a time, that's how renames were always done.

    The rename() system call was added because (a) it provides the
    additional atomicity semantic, which link+unlink does not; (b) it is
    useful to allow directory renames, but directory hard links are
    dangerous so not allowed any more.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.019 / U:5.500 seconds]