SubjectRe: Here is a case that proves my previous position wrong regurading CLONE_THREAD and CLONE_FILES
Robert White wrote:
> The class of applications that contain "safe interpreters"

That's a fine long exposition you have there, but

> If the file descriptor tables are unified (all threads share one table) then
> the "X" would have to be a non-trivial function ThisThreadsSayFD() which
> would bear the burden of traversing some sort of lookup table, and probably
> checking access lists. At a minimum there would need to be some kind of
> thread-specific variable support (a la POSIX).

Thread-specific variables take somewhere between zero and a few clock
cycles, when implemented properly (as they are now on Linux).

Also, it is nothing compared with the thread-specific interpreter
context that you already have running...

> By spawning your threads without the CLONE_FILES flag, you can partition the
> normal users away from these system level accesses via the simple expedient
> of closing the file handles in the new thread. This could largely prevent
> script based fishing expeditions (e.g. calling scripting primitives with
> likely guesses about other entity tags representing file descriptors) and is
> particularly applicable to the more complex scripting or virtual machine
> environments.
>
> If all your threads share the same file descriptor table, then you must be
> able to "prove" your GetTheRightDiscriptor() function for each possible
> fetched descriptor. The function has to be able to return the right thing
> without ever returning the wrong thing. That is expensive and complex, and
> complexity leads to error.

It's at least as difficult to prove that the script can't access other
threads' memory, which is a bigger weak point. If you need proper
security isolation, you're going to need to _not_ use CLONE_VM.

That's not to say that separate file tables with CLONE_VM aren't
useful; they are. But in my opionion efficiency of looking up an fd
number and interpreter security isolation aren't serious reasons.

-- Jamie

> [...]
> memory image, it just acted like it had to span the tiny bit of time between
> the vfork() and the exec() calls. This saved tremendous amount of space and
> time.
>
> And then time moved on and the hardware got better and the software
> paradigms became more expansive...
>
> [end quick history lesson]
>
> Linux provides clone() "in place of" the standard fork() and vfork(). I use
> the quotes because if you look in the code you will *actually* see the
> fork.c file and entry.S file. There are entry points for each of sys_clone,
> sys_fork, and sys_vfork and they all eventually pile back into the same code
> calling do_fork() with different arguments. It's just easier to take at one
> gulp if you think of clone() as the new generic thing and fork() and vfork()
> special cases. Have I lost you yet?
>
> The real inspired part of clone() is that you get to choose what gets copied
> and what just gets shared between the old and the new process. If you look
> in your linux source directory for include/linux/sched.h you will see there
> is a whole set of values that can be passed into clone to tell it how to
> slice/copy (e.g. clone) the new task from the old. By artfully combining
> the flags you can do all sorts of interesting things when cloning yourself.
>
> At one end you can get the original fork() and at the other end you can get
> the tightly intermeshed entities necessary for implementing pthreads (and
> Java tasks and such).
>
> Now, if you run a pthread based program on a 2.4 kernel, and do a "ps -ef"
> you will see the same program repeated as a bunch of processes because of
> the way clone is called for each thread you (or the library) creates. The
> weird thing is that because each thread is a separate process the outside
> world sees things it doesn't need to see and can do things to individual
> threads it kind of ought not to be able to do. This is how you could
> occasionally exit or kill a pthread based program and end up with tidbits of
> it (one or two processes) left behind.
>
> The 2.5 kernel adds the CLONE_THREAD flag to the list of clone available
> options. The flag lets the application programmer (or in this case the
> pthreads library programmer) essentially say "no really, these tightly
> interwoven and interdependent entities can not live away from their
> siblings. Treat them as one process."
>
> When you run a pthreads based program on a 2.5 or later kernel AND you are
> using a version of libpthread that knows about/uses CLONE_THREAD you will
> see just one listing for the program (unless you ask ps to show you all the
> parts by using -m). Indeed the kernel keeps the parts more intimately bound
> which makes a bunch of things better including, but not limited to, better
> management and exit strategies.
>
> =====
>
> The above may be reproduced or referenced for any purpose except for suing

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.125 / U:2.100 seconds]