SubjectRe: PATCH - ALPS glidepoint/dualpoint driver for 2.5.7x
On Sunday October 5, vojtech@suse.cz wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:55:31PM +0200, Peter Osterlund wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have updated your patch for kernel 2.6.0-test6-bk6 and made it
> > report events compatible with the synaptics touchpad kernel driver.
> > This should make it possible to use an ALPS device with the XFree86
> > synaptics driver:
> >
> > http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html
> >
> > Using this driver will give you edge scrolling and similar things.
> >
> > I don't have an ALPS GlidePoint so I haven't been able to test this
> > patch at all. Test reports are appreciated. You probably need to
> > change a few parameters in the X configuration, like edge parameters
> > and finger pressure thresholds. Also note that the auto detection will
> > not work with an ALPS device, so you have to use Protocol="event" and
> > Device="/dev/input/eventN" for some value of N.
>
> Very nice. Could you also make it a separate file? I think it's enough
> code to make that worth it ...

I would actually much rather not have this code in the kernel at all.
Given that I cannot find any documentation of the ALPS interface and
have no confidence of being able to detect an ALPS device or that
different ALPS devices behave the same way, I simply don't think this
stuff belongs in the kernel.

What I would much rather do is have /dev/psaux really be a char-dev
interface to the PS2 AUX port on the computer (rather than a faked
ps-aux look alike sythesised from all available mice) and have a
user-space program read that device, interpret it in a
user-configurable way, and send mouse events into /dev/input/uinput so
that other parts of the system see the appropriate moouse events.

I have code that does this but haven't had time to sort out a few
remaining little issues.

What I would *really* like to do is change /dev/psaux so that:
If it is opened by user-space, it gets all chars from the AUX port,
and input/mousedev doesn't see them.
If it is not open, chars from /dev/psaux would bet processed by the
current mouse driver.

Is there any chance that this might be accepted?

NeilBrown

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.056 / U:0.564 seconds]