    SubjectRe: PATCH - ALPS glidepoint/dualpoint driver for 2.5.7x
    On Sunday October 5, vojtech@suse.cz wrote:
    > On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:55:31PM +0200, Peter Osterlund wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I have updated your patch for kernel 2.6.0-test6-bk6 and made it
    > > report events compatible with the synaptics touchpad kernel driver.
    > > This should make it possible to use an ALPS device with the XFree86
    > > synaptics driver:
    > >
    > > http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html
    > >
    > > Using this driver will give you edge scrolling and similar things.
    > >
    > > I don't have an ALPS GlidePoint so I haven't been able to test this
    > > patch at all. Test reports are appreciated. You probably need to
    > > change a few parameters in the X configuration, like edge parameters
    > > and finger pressure thresholds. Also note that the auto detection will
    > > not work with an ALPS device, so you have to use Protocol="event" and
    > > Device="/dev/input/eventN" for some value of N.
    >
    > Very nice. Could you also make it a separate file? I think it's enough
    > code to make that worth it ...

    I would actually much rather not have this code in the kernel at all.
    Given that I cannot find any documentation of the ALPS interface and
    have no confidence of being able to detect an ALPS device or that
    different ALPS devices behave the same way, I simply don't think this
    stuff belongs in the kernel.

    What I would much rather do is have /dev/psaux really be a char-dev
    interface to the PS2 AUX port on the computer (rather than a faked
    ps-aux look alike sythesised from all available mice) and have a
    user-space program read that device, interpret it in a
    user-configurable way, and send mouse events into /dev/input/uinput so
    that other parts of the system see the appropriate moouse events.

    I have code that does this but haven't had time to sort out a few
    remaining little issues.

    What I would *really* like to do is change /dev/psaux so that:
    If it is opened by user-space, it gets all chars from the AUX port,
    and input/mousedev doesn't see them.
    If it is not open, chars from /dev/psaux would bet processed by the
    current mouse driver.

    Is there any chance that this might be accepted?

    NeilBrown

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.031 / U:0.016 seconds]