    SubjectRe: 2.7 thoughts: common well-architected object model
    it's exposing many of the syscalls into relevant
    user-space objects which makes the other OSs approach
    neat. Coming from the kernel an outline of a common
    object model should be suggested which is then
    actually populated and refined futher by e.g. the GUI
    folks.

    The other way around has shown not to work with the
    many application-designed component frameworks out
    there. In the other OS you'll be able to do things in
    I/O, process, GUI, data access etc. in a quite similar
    way. The current permutation in Linux for putting
    together an application is staggering, which can force
    people to use the lowest common denominator - like
    libc.a ;) - it's actually not funny.

    A core component model has to be defined by the kernel
    group and then trickle upward. That's the only way
    where you can sufficiently design in performance and
    security(*) considerations which I agree should allow
    Linux to scale as well as it does.

    (*) good example for the opportunity in leaping the
    other OS here: there is another big void in a sound
    security component properties right now. COM+ has
    quite a bit in it, but there is much more which could
    be done and people are keen on it. Another item where
    Linux could start to define the envelope.