SubjectRe: APIC error on SMP machine
 --- James Cleverdon <jamesclv@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> An APIC send accept error means that when trying to
> send an interrupt, it was not accepted by the
target.
> In this case, the target is a CPU, either your other
> CPU or the same one (a CPU can send itself an
> interrupt).
> 3) Maybe the other CPU is broken and physically
> cannot accept the interrupt.

Given the background, the most likely cause would seem
to be bad a CPU/motherboard connection. I have
realised that the APIC error is for CPU1, but I have
actually removed CPU0. And a bad CPU0 would explain
why "nosmp" didn't work either.

It's a pity that "nosmp" doesn't (logially cannot?)
take a "boot CPU number" as a parameter.

> Do any previous kernels boot?

Not any more. Everything started to hit the fan at the
beginning of August, and I thought that I had
"patched" things by underclocking the FSB. However,
that only seems to have delayed the inevitable. CPU
slot 2 on my motherboard just seems not to work any
more. I have no idea why - it's not like I can see a
lot of dust and dirt in there.

Oh well, I hear that Dell are selling dual 2.6 GHz
Xeons with RedHat preinstalled nowadays. (These should
have "hyperthreading support", right ;-) ?)

Cheers,
Chris