SubjectRe: [BUG?] SIS IDE DMA errors
Date
On Monday 29 September 2003 18:01, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:22:28AM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>
> > > 08 - 80-wire cables (needed for UDMA44 and higher) NOT installed.
> > > FIFO threshold set to 3/4 for read and to 1/4 for write.
> > >
> > > 01 - IDE controller in compatibility mode. Native and test modes
> > > disabled. (normal)
> > >
> > > e6 - PCI burst enable, EDB R-R pipeline enable, Fast postwrite enable,
> > > device ID masqueraded as sis5513 (although real is 5517)
> > > channels 0 and 1 enabled in normal mode
> > >
> > > 51 - Postwrite enabled on hda and hdc, prefetch on hda only
> > >
> > > 00 02 - 512 bytes prefetch size for hda
> > > 00 02 - 512 bytes prefetch size for hdc
> > >
> > > All this is OK, possibly except for the 80-wire cable not being present,
> > > but if this is a notebook, there might be a completely different cable
> > > type than what's standard, and the detection might not work there.
> >
> > I've got no idea what the cable is like. Is there anything to be
> > learned from opening the beast? Anything in particular to look for?

Notebook drive is plugged streight into a circuit board or connected by a
short cable. The unlikely possibility for hardware is that it is out of spec
and it also could be the drive.

IBM/Hitachi have standalone PCDOS diagnostic floppy disk images and IIRC some
linux based stuff for their drives on their support website. You could run
this diagnostics and see if you learn more.

BTW, as it is in a way an interrupt problem - you tried wo ACPI and IIRC,
you have no APIC?

Regards
Michael

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.054 / U:0.656 seconds]