SubjectRe: File Permissions are incorrect. Security flaw in Linux
On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 08:15:23AM -0600, Lisa R. Nelson wrote:
> Excuse me? Have you even read about permissions on Unix? I tried this
> on a Sun Unix system, and the Sun functions correctly. What you are
> saying is stupid; If all directories are wide open, NO files are
> protected in any way, even if they are read only and owned by root? Get
> real.

What, create a world-writable directory without sticky bit and then wonder
why everyone can remove files from there?

Would you mind posting the list of systems (with versions, preferably)
where that behaviour would *not* match v7, 2.xBSD, 4.xBSD and derivatives
(including SunOS 4), SunOS 5.5, SunOS 5.6, SunOS 5.7, SunOS 5.8, Linux,
OSF/1, etc.?

In particular, I'm most curious about the exact version of "Sun Unix"
you claim to have tried that on. That, and output of ls -ld on the
directory in question.

> I've worked on more OS's than you can imagine, and for many years. This

The sad thing being, that's one claim I do *not* doubt. Lusers' ability
to avoid learning for years had stopped amazing me a long time ago...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:1.409 / U:1.304 seconds]