SubjectRe: 2.6: why no EXPORT_SYMBOL of get_sb_pseudo()?
Mikael Pettersson writes:
> viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk writes:
> > On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 11:04:30AM +0200, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> > > fs/libfs.c:get_sb_pseudo() isn't exported to modules,
> > > but a lot of the other stuff in fs/libfs.c is.
> > >
> > > Is there a particular reason for this or just an oversight?
> > >
> > > Making a private copy of get_sb_pseudo()'s definition works
> > > in a module, but that's not exactly productive use of
> > > programmer time or source and object code space.
> >
> > Are you really sure that get_sb_pseudo() is what you need? It might be
> > possible, but I suspect that simple_fill_super() would be the right thing
> > to use. Care to give details?
>
> I have a pseudo fs to support special files constructed and
> returned as the result of certain operations in the module.
>
> This is very very similar to what e.g. pipefs does, so the
> fs implementation is closely modelled after fs/pipe.c. And
> since pipefs, futexes, and a number of other pseudo fs:s in
> the kernel all use get_sb_pseudo() in their ->get_sb method,
> I figured I should do the same.

I've now checked what simple_fill_super() does, and it doesn't
seem like a valid replacement for get_sb_pseudo(), especially
since it allocates a root directory inode and populates it.
This is clearly not needed for a pseudo fs that won't be mounted.

I can submit a trivial patch to export get_sb_pseudo(), but it
may fare better with Linus if Al ACKs it first.

/Mikael

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.057 / U:0.180 seconds]