    SubjectRe: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
    Date
    There is no such thing as an open source community.  The people who
    founded the open source movement in 1998, and the people who support
    it now, are part of the free software community. (We in the free
    software movement built the community in the 80s with our determined
    effort.)

    These people are legitimate members of our community, and they have a
    right to form a movement to promote their views; but their views
    didn't build the community, so it should not be named after their
    movement.

    It's not ment to be a disrespect to you and what you've
    done certainly, but it's definitely smashed the scale and scope
    of free software projects.

    The GNU system, with Linux added, had a great deal of success, but
    attributing that success entirely to Linux is a misinterpretation of
    the events.

    Why do so many people misinterpret the events this way? The practice
    of calling the system "Linux" leads to and encourages the
    misinterpretation. It leads people to suppose that the most important
    part of the development of the system must have occurred when Linus
    Torvalds started to work on it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:4.042 / U:0.328 seconds]