    SubjectRe: Undelete files on ext3 ??
    On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:29:06AM +0100, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
    > > There is no simple way, no.
    > What about IDE Taskfile access, it's help says something like it's the
    > crown jewel of hard drive forensics.
    >
    > One question, how ext2/3 deletes files? similarily to fat by renaming the
    > first character?

    No. By removing the directory entry completely and marking the inode
    unused.

    By the way, there used to be undelete tool for ext2. It created a list
    of deleted inodes with correct stat, but no names, only their inode
    numbers. You could then pick the corect inode and give it a name, thus
    bringing it back to life. Since ext3 is just ext2 with journal, I guess
    it might work. It existed as a standalone tool and integrated to
    midnight commander.