    SubjectRe: long stalls

    I can't help, but I can echo a "me too".

    We only see it when I have 2 file I/O intensive processes...they both
    will just stop for some few seconds, system seems idle...then
    they just start again. RH7.3 SMP, Dual PIII, 4GB RAM, 3com RAID Controller .

    Brian Tinsley wrote:

    > We have been having terrible problems with long stalls, meaning from a
    > couple of minutes to an hour, happening when filesystem I/O load gets
    > high. The system time as reported by vmstat or sar will increase up to
    > 99% and as it spreads to each procesor, the system becomes completely
    > unresponsive (except that it responds to pings just fine -
    > interesting!). When the system finally returns to the world of the
    > living, the only evidence that something bad has happened is the
    > runtime for kswapd is abnormally high. I have seen this happen with
    > the stock 2.4.17, 2.4.19, and 2.4.20 kernels on SMP PIII and PIV
    > machines (either 4GB or 8GB RAM, all SCSI disks, dual GigE NICs). I've
    > searched the lkml archives and google and have found several similar
    > postings, but there is never an explanation or resolution. Any help
    > would be *very* much appreciated! If any info from the system in
    > question is desired, I will be glad to provide it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.038 / U:7.712 seconds]